Saturday, August 26, 2017

Route 66 Classic, Joliet, IL

by Mauverneen

Sometimes, you don't have to travel far from home to find fun stuff.

I'm partial to old Buicks
I like classic cars and I like old cars, so I thought I would check out the D'Arcy Route 66 Classic last weekend (August 19, 2017) at the Rt. 66 Raceway. The raceway is part of a complex that consists of the dragstrip, a dirt oval, and the Chicagoland Nascar Track.  Billed as a "tribute to all things vintage" I thought I would check it out. I'm glad I went!


Not only were there cars, cars cars! but music of the '50's and '60's, drag races, vendors and a Miss Pin Up contest filled out the day.

A contestant for Miss PinUp struts her stuff
Of course I was most interested in viewing the cars on display. The road into the event was worth watching too to see what was coming in, as was the parking lot. A lot of car fans drove their own classics to the raceway.
Custom 
I was never much on racing, especially drag racing, but I climbed into the stands to watch a few races and have to admit it was fun. Noisy, but fun. Back in the day a lot of guys would take their cars out on the back roads at night - not a good idea, since it was not just dangerous but illegal.


All in all, if you like cars, this was definitely the place to be.


The sponsor say they plan on coming back next year - and so do I!

Now that's RED!
A special shout out to these guys who absolutely made my day by inviting me to their tailgate party. Let's do it again!






No comments:

Post a Comment